Monday, February 7, 2011

I don't want this to be just another blog about weight loss...

...but, it is. SORRY :). At this point in my journey, I only have to lose about 10-15 pounds left to lose, and if you're reading this, you might think "Vain bitch. 10-15 pounds is tough cookies." Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll if you'd let me FINISH, I'd let you know just how far I've come.

I was 250 at 20 years old. No girl should ever be that weight, unless she is 9 feet tall or a Sumo wrestler (but, the wardrobe would obviously have to be adapted. Diapers? Really.). I was not okay with it, but I didn't care enough to change it, I guess. I worked out pretty regularly, but I overcompensated that hard work with eating. What a feat, huh?

You know how there was that poll that came out (too lazy to check who actually published it), but most obese women consider themselves healthy, while most women in the realm of healthy weight consider themselves fat? For the longest time, I was part of the former, but I knew I wasn't "healthy." I thought I was overweight, but not morbidly obese. Buuuut, I definitely was. Looking at pictures now, it's like "The Blob" was being reenacted. Harsh...but true.

I didn't start being very gung-ho about my weight until about a year ago. I decided that I wanted to wear cuter clothes and maybe go on a date with a cute boy maybe once in my life. While the former has happened, the latter is a work in progress (it will happen...Bob Harper WILL call...and be a fan of the female sex. One day.).

I went to the gym about 5 times a week for 90 minutes or more starting in April of 2010, doing about 70/20 cardio and strength. What really worked for me this time is WATCHING WHAT I EAT. And when I say watching what I eat, I don't mean "Oh, look...a ho ho is being propelled into my mouthtrap." No, more like "put down the ho-ho lard ass, and pick up a celery stick instead." I began to take away processed food and saturated fats and replace it with whole grains, more protein, and good fats.

Well, it's now February of 2011, and I'm now at 158ish. 100 pounds: peace out. And if I see you again, I will karate chop you in the face. I worked my ass off (literally and figuratively) to get rid of you, and I'll be damned if I let you back into my life. We're through. DONE.

I was wary of posting a Before/After picture...but at this point, I don't look like that Beluga anymore, and I'm damn proud of what I've accomplished. The whole reason I started this blog was mostly due to a couple of books I've read recently--"Thin is the New Happy" and "Such a Pretty Fat" (one of the funniest/cutest books I've ever read. READ JEN LANCASTER.). They inspired me to document my journey. While it would have been more efficient to start when I had, oh, 100 pounds to lose, I'm going for the last 10-15, which is always the most difficult to lose aaaanyway (so, hopefully that makes for some interesting points...frustration and lashing out on my part, humor for you). And, for some odd reason, I've been having cravings more than I ever have in the past year, so I'm hoping some of you will motivate me to stay on track, dammit. haha

I've just started eating "good fats," because I was petrified to add them into my diet, for fear of spontaneous combustion (no, but really...just overindulgence). Peanut butter is my DOWNFALL. And natural peanut butter>>>>>>processed peanut butter. It's a bit of a drippy situation at first, but it's so much more fulfilling than the processed yuck yuck. Just saying. Also eating more raw almonds, because they actually do keep you fuller. I used to think 22 almonds in a serving? THAT'S supposed to keep me satiated? Yeah, well if you put them in cottage cheese or Greek yogurt, it's baller, so that solves that. So, if you're reading this, maybe leave some kind words or suggestions as to how to curve these stupid cravings for an entire pizza and half of a chocolate cheesecake ;). My body helps out in that department significantly, because when I start overloading it with bad stuff (would have been normal for my body a year or more ago, but it's TOXIC to my body now), it lets me know that it's hurting pretty badly. I'm a Hoover when it comes to food, though, so I need to learn that my food won't run away and it takes 20 minutes to realize fullness. So...slow down. For example, last night (Superbowl Sunday...don't wanna talk about the results), my mom made cheesy potatoes, stuffing, Eggplant Parmesan, and green beans. I could have eaten that whole cheesy potato pan. No joke. Buuut, I just had a spoonful to taste and ate some stuffing, a serving of eggplant, and a generous scoop of (healthy) green beans. And I was fine. It's sad, my love affair with food. haha.

Soooooooooo, the pictures. Oh yeah.

Before (Sophomore year, at my heaviest ever. 250):


 After (taken about a week ago!):



Just wanna point out that is a size large from Urban  Outfitters, and it's even a little biiiig. Just saying :). I didn't realize how much I had changed until I looked at those pictures side-by-side the other day. I look like a totally different person! I'm still the same person, though...only with more confidence :). And legs built like a running back, as opposed to the Michelin Man (seriously, no matter how much weight I lose, my legs are built like I should be running a pigskin up and down the field. I blame it on my dad's tree trunk legs--those things should be tested for 'roids individually). When I see people from high school and even from college, they are astonished with how I look--one of my  sorority sisters didn't even know it was ME. I didn't realize how much my face looks until I looked at those two pictures above. I have cheekbones, hellooooooo.

Only bad thing about losing weight is...nothing. My boobs are smaller (seriously, I used to be a DD...yikes), but my back is patting me on...itself. Yeah. I walk with a swagger, if you will. That swagger will score me a man someday, but I dunno if I'm even ready for a relationship yet. I've just started loving myself, you know? And I'm more important than a wiener and the emotional investment attached to it.

...I couldn't have made that sound more appealing. Okay, this lab report won't report itself, so I'm out like...I'm spent for similes.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the Janis Joplin-fied page...I've loved her ever since I was about 15, and she's my feminist hero. I basically wanted to be her, save the raging drug/alcohol problem. She was a peach < 3333.

Gymmmmmm later on today. I will report on the progress later. Bye, Kids.

7 comments:

  1. you are amazing! and so inspiring! i have started counting calories (via loseit - awesome iphone app) and in 2 months have dropped ~20lbs, but i know to ramp things up i really need to start doing some sort of working out. i feel like i have no time, but i really need to make time. you are seriously awesome. can you share what your workout consisted of at the very very beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I don't have time, I try to make time....AKA working out at 7 AM. haha. Or, I use kettlebells, because they're a great toning exercise (especially for the core), and you can do them while watching TV and stuff. Workout DVDs work too. I recommend Jillian or Jackie Warner--they're both tough.

    At the beginning, I ate about 1300 calories a day, no more than 30 grams of fat, and a tooooon of protein (I'm talking near 100 grams a day). I worked out 5 times a week. I did the total body trainer for about 30 minutes, then the arc trainer for 40 minutes. Sometimes, I'd throw in a 10-minute treadmill warm-up if I had the extra time. Then, I would do about 15 minutes of abs (not just sit ups, because they're not the best way to tone the abs--look up exercises on Self Magazine's site, Women's Health Magazine site, etc), then I did about 20 minutes or so on the weight machines for my arms, 30 minutes if I'm doing my legs too. I was in the gym a lot, but it totally paid off. Elliptical is effective, but not as effective as other machines. If you can find a cardio machine with built-in strength training (like the total body trainer), I would definitely go with that. My arms and quads are on fiiiiire after I'm done, but I know that muscle is being built, which helps burn even more fat, so I'm okay with it. haha

    Also, I try to stay on my feet as much as possible. Luckily, my job has me never sitting down, unless I'm eating my lunch. I try to use the bus as little as possible, but in the winter, I make exceptions. haha. Once Spring comes, though, I'm hoping the last bit of weight will come off more easily, because I'll definitely be outside more, moving around, and I'll be less inclined to sit inside and be tempted to eat bad things.

    Hope that helped. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome.

    Just keep thinking about bikini season :) That helps me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Touche, KB. I will probably go the tankini route, though. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I should probably look into getting some sort of gym membership, haha you were hardcore even from the beginning!

    Unfortunately, I'm a receptionist so I literally have to sit on my bum for 40 hours a week. I kind of miss the exhaustion that only a retail job can bring (but definitely not the paycheck - hah!)

    Thanks for taking the time to write it all out, I definitely need to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This probably sound so silly, and I dunno if you'd be allowed to do it, but SO many sites advocate using a stability ball instead of a chair at work. It helps with the core muscles (which are the HARDEST to tone). You'd probably get weird looks, but it is what it is. haha.

    Even if you work out before/after work, that's better than nothing, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. though i don't know you i just want to say how inspiring it was to read this! i started hardcore working out and watching what i eat this past april. i also started out around the same weight as you. so far down 25 lbs and hope to be at a similar place in my weight loss journey that you are now by this time next year.
    i also got some good pointers from here about how much cardio/strength training i should be doing. i started with more cardio this week and actually feel way better. hopefully that will speed things up.
    good job on your hard work!!

    ReplyDelete